I’m doing something a little different today. A major part of my life that I never really share on the blog is my career dancing in the NBA! Today I’m sharing 5 things you probably didn’t know about NBA dancers. These five points are my most frequently asked questions. After being on the team for 7 years and having this blog for almost 3 I’m opening up.
- IT’S A JOB! Although it’s the best job I’ve ever had, many people fail to realize this. I would never discuss how much anyone makes and neither should you. Which is another thing. If you know a professional cheerleader or dancer, don’t ask them how much they make. It’s rude and you would never discuss your salary with someone else.
- Most of us have other/full-time jobs aside from dancing. I would LOVE to dance for the NBA full time but I don’t think that’s an option. Each team has it’s own set of dancers so therefore that’s a no go. It would be amazing though if it were possible. *a girl can dream right*
- It’s nothing like the show “Hit the Floor”. I’m just going to leave that there. No we don’t date or marry players. No we aren’t basketball wives or are we trying to be. No we don’t try to sabotage each other for personal gain. Obviously that show was made for entertainment. It’s not a reality show. We are women who love to dance and perform…period.
- We do not travel with the team. There are rare occasions when we have “home court advantage” in another arena however. My fourth year on the team we traveled to Bilbao Spain and Manchester England to perform!
- We aren’t that tall. I know this is really random but you don’t know how many people think we are giants. When people meet us in person they say, “Wow I thought you were taller.” Another favorite of mine is, “Are you the real dancers” simply because we aren’t as tall as we seem. Lol I just laugh. Unlike the Rockettes, there is no height requirement to dance in the NBA. I think as a whole most dancers are on the shorter side anyway.
Thanks for reading!