French onion soup is easily one of my favorite soups. While I don’t eat it the traditional way that it’s served (with bread/croutons) I still enjoy it the same. I actually made this soup last about a year or so ago and can’t remember why I don’t do it more often. The recipe is actually super easy and personally I think my way is the best way. Trust if you are a French onion soup lover, feel free to be the judge.
Prepare in 4 qt. crockpot. Serving size: 4
- 7 cups Beef broth (I believe you can use vegetable broth as a vegetarian option)
- 2lbs onions (4 onions the size of apples or smaller)
- 6 TSBP butter (try to find a butter that has the TBSP portion on wrapper like my Land O’ Lakes butter did. It’s easier for measuring.)
- 1 or 2 TBSP flour (depends on how thick you like it…the more flour the thicker the soup)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- (optional for flavor) 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2-4 slices of aged Swiss cheese (you can use Gruyere but it’s expensive and hard to melt)
- Bread of your choice whether it’s croutons, wheat bread, baguettes, etc.
- Melt butter in crockpot (set on high.)
- Add sliced onion, reduce heat to medium and cook stirring occasionally until tender and/or caramelized. Don’t let the onions stick to the bottom of the pot. They should have a distinctive smell and this will take about 50 minutes.
- Add in flour, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and simmer with lid on until onions brown/caramelize and have softened into the soup.
- Laddle soup out from crockpot.
- Add desired amount of bread.
- Add desired amount of cheese.
- Melt cheese in microwave for 1 minute (until melted)
- USE CAUTION and remove bowl from microwave. It will be extremely hot.
If you’re feeling fancy, some great wine pairings with French onion soup are Cabernet Sauvignon, Melot and Pinot Grigio.
If you try this I would love to know what you think. Trust me, you will love it! I’ll try to post more recipes that I love more often. You can always find them under my “entertaining” category of this blog.
Last thing and most important, today is the first event for the Philly Influencer Mixer!!! I’m so excited to meet everyone and network. If you are unable to attend or want to keep up with all things regarding the Mixer, please ‘like’ the Facebook page!
Thanks for reading!